Top safety tips for new homeowners in Kennewick
If you just bought your first home or you’re nearing the date to close, congratulations! It’s a wonderful time for you and yours. You’re likely considering the ways you should personalize your residence with paint, furnishings, and decor. But, before you get too caught up in home improvements, make certain you consider home security too. Keeping the ones you care about safeguarded should always be a foremost priority, and we’ll help you do so with these safety tips for new homeowners in Kennewick.
Perform a safety check of your new Kennewick property
Now that safety is front and center, see what your new home already has. First, make sure you have working smoke detectors. Try every one and switch out batteries if required. Do you have carbon monoxide detectors? Do you need a water sensor in the cellar? This is also a perfect time to replace door locks and check all locking mechanisms on windows. Go room-by-room and get to know your new house.
Smart security tips for your Kennewick home
Once you’ve done your initial check of safety alarms and locks, you may look into improving your protection. Get started with these security tips for your home in Kennewick.
- Install a modern home security system. One of the best tools for new homeowners in Kennewick is a home security system. Today’s wireless advancements let you keep a close watch on your home even when you’re away. You can scan live video feeds, engage locking systems, and even communicate with guests on your front porch right from your mobile device. You can customize with amazing security features such as surveillance cameras and monitored fire alarms.
- Upgrade outside lights. Exterior lights with motion detectors are a smart solution in dissuading potential intruders. You might even integrate them with surveillance cameras. When a motion detector is set off, it can tell your outdoor camera to begin recording.
- Keep your premises maintained. Can you easily see all of your property through your windows? Are there large bushes and trees obstructing your view? Eliminate potential hiding spots for prowlers by keeping your yard neat and tidy. Your neighbors will be appreciative of it too.
- Make friends with folks in your area. One more thing about your neighbors, get acquainted with them. If you are friends with people close to you, there’s a greater chance they’ll advise you if they detect suspicious activity. You might also get involved in your community’s social media page if one is available.
- Benefit from home automation. If you opt for a modern smart home, you can make it seem like you’re on site by turning on smart light bulbs at scheduled times. This is a great tool when you’re at work or on vacation.