Top causes of residential fires in Kennewick and how to prevent them
When you own a home, there are a wide range of risks to keep in mind. Fire is foremost among them, as it can happen in any place and at any time. The U.S. Fire Administration estimated an incredible $8.9 billion in property damage throughout the United States as a result of residential fires in 2021. Also during this year, there were in excess of 350,000 noted occurrences. Fortunately, there are steps you can take to keep them from happening|. Investigate the causes and how to prevent house fires in Kennewick.
What starts residential fires in Kennewick?
Fires can start anywhere and without notice, whether sparked by a smoldering cigarette in a waste container or a neglected stovetop. Here are the leading causes of residential fires.
- Cooking: Incidents in the kitchen are the most widespread types of residential fires in Kennewick and elsewhere. Ignored stovetops are the chief cause, so always keep an eye on that scorching skillet when making a meal. It’s also important to note that dumping water on a grease fire will only worsen the situation.
- Heating: Space heaters are a well-known cause of residential fires. Running them for extended time periods might result in internal parts wearing down and sparking. Worn cords and putting heaters near flammable objects like bedding or drapes will also lead to disastrous results. Other heating devices, such as fireplaces and furnaces, could cause fires and need to be inspected frequently.
- Electrical: Worn out wiring, malfunctioning outlets, and overburdened extension cords are several of the ways electrical problems cause fires. If you notice sparking, flickering lights, or strange odors, get it investigated right away.
- Candles: If there's a flame, there's the potential for fire. Residential fires from candles are still commonplace and often result from carelessness. Situating them within reach of pets or too close to flammable objects will often result in disaster.
- Smoking: Despite the overall decline in smoking across the nation, it’s still an unquestionable fire hazard. The U.S. Fire Administration announced that 7,800 residential fires were started by smoking in 2021. Dozing off with a cigarette in hand or discarding smoldering ashes prematurely can give rise to destructive results.
The most effective way to prevent house fires in Kennewick is to be attentive at all times. Always pay attention when cooking, never leave a candle burning, and discard cigarettes properly. If you have to operate a space heater, do so in short intervals and get one that includes an automatic shut-off switch in case it is knocked over.
Get help quickly with a monitored fire alarm in Kennewick
You need to have smoke detectors on every floor and consider using more near sleeping quarters. But you can take your protection to another level with a monitored fire alarm. These modern safety components will not only detect smoke but can also be triggered due to rising heat. Additionally, since they are part of your modern smart home, they’ll warn you and your monitoring specialists whenever a disaster occurs. This is a nice feature, especially when you’re not around to hear the alarm and call the fire department.
Safeguard your home against various risks with a Vivint smart home in Kennewick
Elevate the safety of your property today with a Vivint smart home. You can custom design our systems with monitored fire alarms, water sensors, and carbon monoxide detectors. You’ll be appreciative of the instant updates to your cell phone and the 24-hour support that comes with professional monitoring. Contact (509) 794-3375 to get started.